| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814, 1815, 1816 ... 1874  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:57 am 
WRETCHED

joyfulgirl wrote:
linanil wrote:
I think you will be fine but is there any possibility you can change your route? How many hours are you driving every day? When my husband and I drove from Colorado to Maryland, we drove for 8 hours each day. That seemed fine.

The longest stretch is about 9 hours. I can't change much because we already booked the campsites. but I might be able to cut that longest one into two if I have to and stay at yellowstone for two nights instead of three. I guess I'll play it by ear and see.

9 hours shouldn't be a problem, sorry you won't have a second driver! We kind of winged it on our drive but we figured we'd stop at random motels (and we weren't vegan so less planning seem required)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

strawberryrock wrote:
I have a quick survey for anyone who is bored.

What are the options you consider when you have clothes that are wrinkled that you would prefer not to be wrinkled?
What option are you most likely to go with?
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up? What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

It's for science.

I tend not to own very many things that would require ironing, and my job doesn't require me to wear anything businessy or anything, so for the two times a year I might have to wear something that needs to actually be ironed (wedding/funeral/job interview), I break out the iron and iron that one thing. I don't have a dryer, so my one trick for keeping other things (t-shirty stuff and the like) relatively wrinkle free is to take them out of the washer, and give them a really good flick/shake before hanging them to dry.

I had a stay-at-home mom, but I don't recall ever seeing her iron. For herself, my sis, and me, she tended to just buy t-shirts and sweaters and other non-iron stuff. The only thing iron-worthy in our house were my dad's business shirts, but he brought those to be professionally cleaned and pressed.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:48 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

joyfulgirl wrote:
On the other hand, I was really looking forward to splitting the driving and costs with another person. She did offer to pay her portion of gas still, but I feel like it's shitty of me to accept that. I mean, I would have had to do this even if she didn't plan on joining from the beginning.
But mostly I'm just a little panicked to have major changes like this when we leave in less than 24 hours! And that I have to do all the driving myself. I probably would have picked a more direct route or planned for shorter stretches of driving every day. PPKers, please tell me that it's going to be fine. Or tell me stories about how your cross country trip got forked up but it turned out okay in the end.

You should definitely accept gas money.
Also, I drove cross country by myself in winter and did fine. My longest day was probably 10 or 11 hours. Have fun! It's a great trip.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:24 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

And is there a way the remaining person can do some stuf that might be helpful to take stress off? Have them be on top of music, snacks, map-readin? Maybe just let them know that you might need moral support for the last few hours where you start to get tired of driving.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Uggggh my father and brother left for our grand canyon rafting trip today (they're driving to AZ; I'm flying. I have work.) and I reallllly wish I had been able to go with them.

SO over work. I just want to be sitting on a raft drinking seltzer and reading and maybe going down a rapid every once in a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:30 pm 

My favorite pair of flip flops just broke :/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:18 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

The latest Dana Gould Hour came out a week ago, and I've had "Clownf**ker" running through my head since then:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:54 am 
Nailed to the V

mars- I feel you. Did that one part pop out of the other?

HAHA my room mates are gone and I can turn my music to an audible volume.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

joyfulgirl wrote:
So as I've posted before, I've been planning a big road trip from NY to Portland with two friends. We're leaving early tomorrow morning. One of my friends (the one who can drive) just backed out. On the one hand, it's great that I'll have more space in the car and I don't have to leave so many things behind. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to splitting the driving and costs with another person. She did offer to pay her portion of gas still, but I feel like it's shitty of me to accept that. I mean, I would have had to do this even if she didn't plan on joining from the beginning.
But mostly I'm just a little panicked to have major changes like this when we leave in less than 24 hours! And that I have to do all the driving myself. I probably would have picked a more direct route or planned for shorter stretches of driving every day. PPKers, please tell me that it's going to be fine. Or tell me stories about how your cross country trip got forked up but it turned out okay in the end.

I'd accept the money. You budgeted and planned this trip on the assumption that she was coming, and I imagine you would have tried to find another person to share the driving if you'd known she wasn't coming!
I soooo wish I could volunteer but I can't go anywhere till August! :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm with cq on this one. If you discuss it and find you're both feeling awkward, then maybe a compromise (50% of the gas money should would have paid) would be possible. I hope you can manage all the driving and that you can still enjoy your trip west.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

On Friday night I 'rented' Gone With the Wind from Amazon Prime. I've seen it before, but not for at least 15 years. Since it was only a 24 hour rental, when I tried to watch the last 45 minutes, it had expired, so I didn't finish it.

But man, Scarlett O'Hara was a really awful person. Like, the worst. Going back and watching it as an adult, I can't believe her character became so iconic. It should be iconic of selfish sociopathdom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

joyfulgirl wrote:
And that I have to do all the driving myself. I probably would have picked a more direct route or planned for shorter stretches of driving every day. PPKers, please tell me that it's going to be fine. Or tell me stories about how your cross country trip got forked up but it turned out okay in the end.

You should be fine. Perhaps you could still cancel a campsite if you feel you've got to drive too much.

I did 2,600 miles in four days about a week ago, in 90 degrees heat and on a motorcycle without air-conditioning.
That was going from west to east coast so I also had the disadvantage of the time-zones.
Going east to west your day light time gets extended every time you pass a time zone line.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Thanks for all the support guys! We already made it to Cleveland and it wasn't bad at all. My travel companion made lots of fun CDs for the trip so that has been fun. And I think it may be for the best. The two of us work really well together and besides with all the extra room in the car I was able to bring even silly things like my ice cream maker! Woohoo!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oops, 16 handles retweeted my tweet saying i really like their soy vanilla with peanut butter and oreos #vegan, so now i'm sure someone will tell me oreos aren't vegan or they are too processed or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

joyfulgirl wrote:
Thanks for all the support guys! We already made it to Cleveland and it wasn't bad at all. My travel companion made lots of fun CDs for the trip so that has been fun. And I think it may be for the best. The two of us work really well together and besides with all the extra room in the car I was able to bring even silly things like my ice cream maker! Woohoo!

Glad it's working out! Safe travels, and ice cream party at your place when you get here?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

Glad it's working out! Safe travels, and ice cream party at your place when you get here?

Yay! Road trips are so much fun. And driving across the country is such an experience to have.

I have my second date with dude tonight. I'm pretty excited.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made it through the first day of camp unscathed! This is my first time ever teaching a group (15) of kindergartners and first graders all day long, and I'm pretty proud of myself. I didn't lose my shiitake on anyone who was being irritating (and there were a couple), no one cried, no one barfed. Only 4 more days with this group to go! (Then a new group next week, then older kids for two weeks after that.)

Also, I'm supposed to find out about that job tomorrow, and I'm pretty nervous. I don't really even know if I want it that bad, but I really want it to be offered to me, if that makes sense. I need a confidence boost after the BS that went down at my other job.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

jordanpattern wrote:

Of course!
And for the record, I'm having a blast in Cleveland right now. We went to melt and did pub trivia. And now I'm couchsurfing in a house full of vegans. They're baking some frozen vegan croissants for breakfast.

Teehee croissants for breakfast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 pm 

Damnnnnnn I could go for a nice warm croissant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm not sure how to read that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 pm 
And you never will.

I am.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ijustdiedinside wrote:
oops, 16 handles retweeted my tweet saying i really like their soy vanilla with peanut butter and oreos #vegan, so now i'm sure someone will tell me oreos aren't vegan or they are too processed or something.

16 Handles has soy vanilla?! There's one not too far from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

blondiefk wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

16 Handles has soy vanilla?! There's one not too far from me.

Ha, I just processed this, too. There's one by my work I think!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

poopiebitch wrote:
I am.

+1 Yummy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814, 1815, 1816 ... 1874  Next