| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portland housing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hey PPK! My roommate is moving out September 1 and I am FREAKING OUT. If you know of anyone who wants to share my awesome 2 bedroom apartment with me and my two cats, or an opening where I and my two cats could move, please please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Portland housing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:25 am 

Ignore the post where I said my cat was really loud in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hello!

I'm interested in either option possibly. Where is your current place and what are the costs (rent, utilities, etc) involved? What are you looking for in a roommate?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:31 pm 

So I actually think my second cousins who I haven't seen in about 17 years are going to move in on a temporary basis, but in case that doesn't work out or someone is looking for something in a few months, here's the info I just sent someone else!

Rent is 502.50 per person, plus 20 in water/garbage, between 25 and 50 depending on the season in electric, 25 for internet but there is cheaper internet out there so maybe less.
It's near 39th and Hawthorne/Belmont, which I am going to go ahead and call the most walkable neighborhood in Portland. It is in short walking distance to three different groceries stores, a billion restaurants and bars, a public library and a gazillion other things. But it's not directly next to anything noisy other than a street with ambient traffic noise. On three major bus lines.
Plenty of street parking available, also garages available for extra rent.
On-site laundry (coin-operated)
Pretty average sized bedroom, huge living room, wood floors, not huge but workable kitchen.
I've lived here for 4.5 years and the place would probably benefit from having a few things fixed/a deep clean but maybe that can be my summer project.
Right now it's not the cleanest but I'm pretty good at adapting to cleanliness levels of whoever I'm living with. Probably wouldn't be a great match with someone who is going to freak out over some mail left on the table or a few dishes in the sink though.
One of my cats is super needy and affectionate and wants to be on your lap whenever you're doing anything, except if she's just met you in which case she might spend a few weeks plotting your death. The other one is super high energy, climbs the walls, is loud and annoying. So basically they are not the kind of cats that just nap quietly all day, they will be part of your life if you live here so I would really like someone who actively enjoys cats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Wow - that was quick! I love cats and that is a great location, so I remain interested if your kinfolk situation doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:49 pm 

I almost posted a new thread and then realized the title of this one still works, soo I'll just revive it and tell you guys about my new situation.

I really want a studio or one-bedroom apartment for $700 or under.

I KNOW that is apparently really difficult. But maybe you know someone? Like with a basement apartment they rent out? Or there is something in your building?

I would like to be on the east side, or if on the west side pretty close to downtown. West of 122nd. (With that budget I probably can't be much pickier than that.) Probably not north of Glisan unless it's close to the 75 bus because I work in Milwaukie and that would be an annoying commute, but I don't know, my standards can probably get lower.

Crappy kitchenettes fine, ugly carpets fine, no natural light fine. Cats have to be allowed though. I JUST REALLY WANT TO LIVE ALONE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Have you looked up in NoPo at all? It's pretty great out there, and I think there are some rentals in your price range. Kenton, if you can find something there, is super convenient, close to max, Fred Meyer, and New Seasons, good coffee, awesome vegan pizza, and all the car and bike racing you can handle out at PIR.

I'll keep an eye out in my neighborhood as well.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/4699521403.html this actually looks pretty decent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm 

I wouldn't mind Kenton--it's actually near the bus line I take to work, it would just be an hour and a half on that bus but I would get a lot of reading done anyway. That apartment doesn't allow pets so I couldn't do it but I would be totally cool with something similar! (Though also the no stove thing would be hard.)

I looked at a place at 113th and Division today that I'll probably apply for when the landlord actually emails me the application, though I'm not totally sold on it. Fortunately my timing is flexible, so definitely let me know if you see anything!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:04 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/apa/4694700103.html

It's near Native Foods, the max, and should be <30 mins for a bus ride for you to go to work via the 28 or 31 bus lines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 am 

In my experience if it was posted more than 5 hours ago it's gone! Such is housing in Portland.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 am 
One Trick Dick

I saw what is literally a shed on CL for $625. One room, toilet IN THE ROOM. I'm into the tiny house movement, but this was ridiculous. Portland housing is so bobo right now.