| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold Cream Options?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:16 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Are there any vegan ones? I've been searching, exhaustively and if they happen to be cruelty-free they still aren't vegan because of beeswax. I've seen recipes online for making your own but again with beeswax. And to add, I just want to be lazy and buy a jar.
I did stumble across a new product on etsy that is vegan. I've only bought nail polish from etsy before and I'm a little hesitant to purchase something to rub on my skin that is homeade.

Can anyone recommend any vegan cold creams, either brand names or etsy products that you've tried and liked?

Post subject: Re: Cold Cream Options?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hmm, I guess it depends what you mean by cold cream. I tend to only use non-foaming cleansing milks and creams- I love the Weleda almond cream and gentle cleansing milk, and am always searching for new ones too. But are you looking for something really thick, to be used without water?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Yes, I'm looking for a thick cream that doesn't require water to wash off with. Basically something to clean my face and remove makeup/sunscreen just by wiping off with tissues or a washcloth.

I've used some cleansing milks in the past but I find them too thin/runny and they have to be used with water. At least the ones I tried did.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think you can use aqueous cream like that? It is certainly thick enough to smear on your face and wipe off with a cloth or cotton pads (my mum recommended this); I just don't know how effective it would be on make-up as I don't wear it.

I think ingredient-wise it's ok so you should only need to find a brand that doesn't test on animals. But I could be missing something- I decided it irritated my ridiculously sensitive skin so haven't used it since before going veg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_cream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:48 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of aqueous cream before. I'll look into it...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LUSH has a cleanser called 9 to 5 that they seem to think is a non-water cleanser. that's how they describe it anyway, as something you put on, rub in, and then wipe off. i, however, use it daily and i always use a water and a wet washcloth. i am a rebel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I happened to come across this one by DeVita that bills itself as being intended for use without water:

http://devitaskincare.com/store/chamomi ... 17664.html

Pretty pricey though.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bluedawg wrote:
LUSH has a cleanser called 9 to 5 that they seem to think is a non-water cleanser. that's how they describe it anyway, as something you put on, rub in, and then wipe off. i, however, use it daily and i always use a water and a wet washcloth. i am a rebel.

does that have any scent? I am interested in trying but find Lush stuff too smelly at times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bluedawg wrote:

This. I got some for Christmas last year in a Lush gift pack and as soon as I used it my thought was that it is exactly like cold cream. Removes makeup really well!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Quarantined wrote:
bluedawg wrote:

does that have any scent? I am interested in trying but find Lush stuff too smelly at times.

well, take this with a grain of salt because i own a LOT of LUSH stuff and i like most of their scents... but i actually think 9 to 5 is really very mild. not unscented, but nothing strong or offensive. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bluedawg I agree with you. But I use Lush primarily for all of my beauty stuff. So I'm probably immune to it too. I have a friend who can't use anything from Lush because her husband is really sensitive to smells of any kind. And I'm always like, but their products barely smell! My Lush smell detector is broken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:49 pm 
WRETCHED

I believe Pure Cream from Origins is also vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

You guys, so many options now. Thanks so much for all the input!

bluedawg, I've never tried Lush before but 9 to 5 is calling my name. I've been thinking about using a WASH off cleanser and NOT using water. Rebel here too ;-)

GraciaKai, I've been reading the 9 to 5 reviews and it seems mixed on how well it removes makeup, so I'm glad to hear it works for you. I don't usually wear a lot anyway. "exactly like cold cream" sounds like a winner to me!

And the scent.....gah! I am ALL about how things smell. I spend more time smelling things than using them. IMO, the more it smells, the better.

Quarantined, I've bookmarked the Devita site. Never heard of that company but they sound good. The price is comparable to the cream I've been eyeing on Etsy www.etsy.com/listing/197470831/blueberr ... e_active_5

And linanli, I used Pure Cream a long time ago. I kind of discounted it because I though Origins was mixed up in the China thing. Would love to be wrong about that.

Okay, time to get off my procrastinating butt and order something....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:47 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Origins is no longer cruelty-free.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Lush 9 to 5 comes in small bottles too. So you could always get that and make sure you like it before spending the money on a big bottle. I just used it when I got home from the gym. Took off what was left of my makeup after sweating and leaves you feeling clean buy not dry or tight. I use water with it too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 am 
WRETCHED

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Origins is no longer cruelty-free.

crepe, well that sucks.