| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A rant about this whole tax deal thing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:42 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Today I remembered why I never bother with the 24 hour news stations anymore. Even msnbc spent an hour today bashing Obama for the tax deal he was forced to make with the republicans which would increase our deficit. I don't understand why they are bashing him when they should be bashing the republicans having a tantrum and leaving him no choice but to cave in to their demands, therefore going against everything they supposedly stand for? What choice did he have? No, I am not happy that the tax cuts were extended for the super wealthy seeing that our deficit is out of control, and right now there are people who could use that money a whole hell of a lot more than them. And this notion that giving them tax breaks helps all of us is such b.s. But still, I understand why he had to do it. And he certainly showed today that he is not happy about it.

The whole thing makes me so forking mad. As of today, I realized I will never vote for a republican for as long as I live. I'd rather not vote at all then vote for one of those bullying opportunists. Ugh. Rant over. Sorry.

P.S. Sorry to anyone on here who is a republican. I'm just mad at the politicians in your party right now, not you.

Post subject: Re: A rant about this whole tax deal thing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Well he did have a choice... He could have just let the middle class tax rate go up to the Clinton rates, which weren't that high. Frankly, I'd rather have seen the GOP get skewered as the crassholes that didn't allow the middle class tax cuts to stand than have Obama roll over and give tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans.

But I agree that the GOP sucks for being the party of NO and so proud of it, instead of trying to do something for the country and the middle class.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm 
Grandfathered In

Didn't he also have the choice to call the republicans out? Hold a news conference and tell the world in no uncertain terms that the GOP is trying to hold the middle class hostage? Why give in without a fight? Throw some punches, man!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:51 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Well he did say that today, after the deal was made. I would have liked to see that sooner but let's be realistic, it wouldn't have made a difference. The GOP is so stubborn they wouldn't have backed down for free. And they have a way of putting political spin on everything to make it look like Obama's or the democrat's fault.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm so mad about the whole thing too that I can hardly formulate my thoughts about it. I think he should have fought it and I'm really disappointed. Plus, I'm super pissed about the federal employee pay freeze that he said was needed to help the deficit, but then he caves on the millionaire's tax break?!!!!! Which is costing us like 1000% MORE than the money the pay freeze saves?!!!!! Why didn't he call them out and say how do you explain wanting this tax break for the rich when you're all about stopping the deficit? I was always a huge Obama supporter and I just keep getting disappointed more and more. Of course there is no way in hell I'd EVER vote Republican but I am still mad at the democrats. The whole thing is mind-explodingly maddening.

I hate the American attitude about taxes overall too. How do we expect to have safe food, safe roads, healthy environment, educated population, etc. without paying taxes?! Sadly, I think most Americans just don't care about having that stuff...they'd rather have $10 more for their nasty Wal-Mart shopping binges. Barf-o.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
Grandfathered In

What the Rude Pundit said about it. I agree with him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks FF.

Quote:
Republican bear almost the entire blame for this debacle. However, almost everyone on the left was telling the President that his approach to bipartisanship was going to bite him on the asparagus. Republicans acted like Republicans. Obama acted like his asparagus was made of titanium when it was just flesh after all.

I just feel like people are looking to President Obama for leadership, which means not rolling over and over and over and over...

And I think its crazy that given how much we are cutting in terms of services and staff (including teachers and police) along with paying for an expensive foreign war, we also have to effectively continue a GOP tax cut. Why not just say sorry the GOP wouldn't play ball and let the tax cuts expire and then introduce them again if need be?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:26 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

hopshackgirl wrote:

I hate the American attitude about taxes overall too. How do we expect to have safe food, safe roads, healthy environment, educated population, etc. without paying taxes?! Sadly, I think most Americans just don't care about having that stuff...they'd rather have $10 more for their nasty Wal-Mart shopping binges. Barf-o.

word. i mean, i'd be a lot more excited about paying taxes if i believed the bulk of it went toward these things and not subsidies or other things i don't support, but, yeah. i think obama's trying not to be a hypocrite about crossing the aisle, but some things don't merit compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:35 pm 
Semen Strong

On The Colbert Report they just said that extending the tax cuts for 2 years will add $200 to $300 billion to the deficit.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2 ... al-deficit

Extending the cuts to households making over $250,000 a year accounts for $32 billion of that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

sarahbobarah wrote:
Sorry to anyone on here who is a republican. I'm just mad at the politicians in your party right now, not you.

If anyone on here is a Republican, I am mad at you for being a member of a party that advocates racism, sexism, homophobia, discrimination against those who don't share your specific religious beliefs, and class warfare against the poor and working class, and I wonder why your ethics lead you to (rightfully) caring about the oppression of non-humans, but (wrongfully) not caring about the oppression of humans.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:46 pm 
Semen Strong

BFH wrote:
I wonder why your ethics lead you to (rightfully) caring about the oppression of non-humans, but (wrongfully) not caring about the oppression of humans.

are you saying fetuses are non-human?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Tofulish wrote:
BFH wrote:
I wonder why your ethics lead you to (rightfully) caring about the oppression of non-humans, but (wrongfully) not caring about the oppression of humans.

think BFH is talking about the fact that they're (presumably) vegan . . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:

I was referring to the animals that we, members of the PPK forum community, don't eat (was I wrong to assume we're all vegans here?).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Ha! There are non-vegans on the boards, but I see your point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I keep forgetting that there are non-vegans interested in vegan food (like I used to be) and vegans who arrive to or remain in veganism without ethics being attached to it (like I used to be).

But I bet the intersection between "VEGAN" and "REPUBLICAN" is tiny, and tinier still, the intersection between "REPUBLICAN" and "PPK.com VISITOR."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am 
Grandfathered In

But what is supposed to happen in two years, when these tax cuts are scheduled to expire again? Why should anyone believe that Obama, with no majority in the House and a looming reelection, would pick that time to stand up and say, "No more"?

If it's hard to stand up to the GOP now, it's only going to get harder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

FootFace wrote:
But what is supposed to happen in two years, when these tax cuts are scheduled to expire again? Why should anyone believe that Obama, with no majority in the House and a looming reelection, would pick that time to stand up and say, "No more"?

If it's hard to stand up to the GOP now, it's only going to get harder.

That's what I was thinking, but maybe the GOP will actually stand by their word and let them expire, although I do see a big fight happening again in two years. I don't know, Obama is forked no matter what he does. People would have been pissed if the tax cuts just expired, and now they are pissed at this. The GOP has done a great job making sure that he fails, just like they said he would. But yeah, maybe he should have just called their bluff? I am just not sure if that is realistic given what is going on with the economy right now. My animosity still remains with the republicans though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm 
Semen Strong

$700 billion in the next 10 years added to the deficit ....
http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod ... seth-green

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:33 pm 
Grandfathered In

Turns out I'm with Thom Hartmann on this one. Or, he's with me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:18 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Disgusting.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

sarahbobarah wrote:
Well he did say that today, after the deal was made. I would have liked to see that sooner but let's be realistic, it wouldn't have made a difference. The GOP is so stubborn they wouldn't have backed down for free. And they have a way of putting political spin on everything to make it look like Obama's or the democrat's fault.

Why do the democrats always forking back down though? As soon as the rebuplicans got the house it was all 'compromise'. Don't forking compromise. Goddamn. I am furious. I am one of those in the lowest tax bracket that will now have to pay more while the richest 1% won't. fork fork fork.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 pm 
WRETCHED

BFH wrote:
sarahbobarah wrote:
Sorry to anyone on here who is a republican. I'm just mad at the politicians in your party right now, not you.

If anyone on here is a Republican, I am mad at you for being a member of a party that advocates racism, sexism, homophobia, discrimination against those who don't share your specific religious beliefs, and class warfare against the poor and working class, and I wonder why your ethics lead you to (rightfully) caring about the oppression of non-humans, but (wrongfully) not caring about the oppression of humans.

Well we live in a 2 party system and neither party is perfect. I've known Republicans that are Republicans because some of the issues line up better with their beliefs even though they don't line up with the whacko religious Republicans that seem to be in the forefront. So I'm sure there are Republicans on this board or at least people who would vote for Republicans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Also, fork not being happy about it. I no longer care that democrats are not happy about it. Grow a motherforking backbone and come out like a motherforking biting sow. If you want my vote you will have to actually show that you give a fork about me and not just as lip service which ends as soon as the Republicans act mean. Hells bells, they will be vilified no matter what. Bring it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm voting for panda.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

Me too! Panda 2012!