| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what kind of vegan food do you pack in your kids lunch?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:22 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I was thinking about what I'm going to pack in my son's lunch box next year when he enters first grade. I'm not very familiar with pre-packaged food as I'm a stay at home mom and I cook everything.

Anything your kids really love?

Post subject: Re: what kind of vegan food do you pack in your kids lunch?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02 am 
Be afraid... be very afraid

My kids are pretty easy - soybutter and jelly sandwiches, apple slices, carrots, cookies, juice, soy milk, fruit bars, crackers, applesauce - in combination. I send all finger type foods since utensils seem to get lost. Right now, my oldest is taking a container of soybutter with apples and crackers to dip in.
Mr. LL takes hummus sandwiches, veggie sandwiches, soups, leftovers, etc.

Vegan Lunch Box has provided me with lots of good ideas for Mr. LL, but the kids are pretty much only interested in what I listed above.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 am 

thanks ;-)

I'm always so worried he's not getting enough protein, we eat beans all the time but I guess it's not a big deal if he doesn't get so much in his lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Lunch protein sources that don't need silverware: roasted chickpeas, chickpea salad sandwich, seeds, nuts (if they're allowed), soynuts, soy milk, hemp milk, bean dip with chips or vegetables, soy crisps, refried beans in a tortilla (roll it up and cut into spirals for easier eating), slices of vegan sausage, baked tofu cubes, edamame, and chickpea cutlet (cut in pieces).

But I don't know kids at all, so I don't know how kid-friendly any of those are.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 pm 

thanks for the great ideas, luckily my son was born vegan so he loves tofu based products and anything with beans.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When Shae was younger, he'd take leftovers from dinner a lot. He introduced his kindergarten class to eating with chopsticks. Now he's into what he deems "normal lunches"... tofurky or peanut butter sandwiches with fruit and raw veggies, a cookie or pretzels or something snacky.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:08 am 
Saggy Butt

my kid is not old enough for me to be packing lunches, but -- my dad used to make me homemade lunchables for school lunch, & i still eat them sometimes as a grownup. they are awesome.

quartered pieces of tofutti slices, a stack of crackers, & some kind of fake meat. yves pepperoni slices are the perfect size for the 'meat' part, but really any of those little pepperonis would work -- or else quartering lightlife bologna slices or whatever.

i also always had carrot slices, applesauce, & raisins in my lunches. man, i wish someone still packed me a lunch everyday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

For my 6 year old I pack 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 1 dessert/snack-like item and one main item. I got him a Laptop Lunchbox and it has made it much easier for me to figure out his lunches.
Fruits: Apple Slices, Grapes cut in half (yes, I still cut them in half for him), orange slices, strawberries and frozen blueberries (they thaw out just in time for lunch, but are still cold)

Veggies: Red Pepper slices, celery, carrots, sometimes avocado slices (sometimes guacamole), cucumber slices on rare occassions, edamame (I get those mini packs in the freezer section of the market with Sponge Bob on them)

Main Items: All kinds of soups (Cauliflower Soup recipe from Vegan Lunchbox is great and cheezy, Chili- again Vegan Lunchbox recipe, Butternut Squash, Pumpkin, Cream of Broccoli, the list goes on), Something we call Pizza Bites (don't know how that name got started), which is black bean filled dough packets like the Amy's ones that have cheese. I make them myself and try to make them look close to the Amy's, but without the cheese, Tofu wraps (tortilla filled with hummus and tofu, etc...), Tofu Fingers (breaded and fried tofu strips), Veggie Dogs (he likes Yves), Home made mini-pizzas, Joanna's nuggets

Dessert/Snacks: Tings, Kettle Corn, Chips and Salsa, Sunny Blueberry Corn Muffins (from VwaV, I put half a muffin in his lunch), half of a chocolate chip Clif Z Bar, Organic Teddy Graham-like cookies, or Animal Shaped cookies (he likes Barbara's Snackimals Vanilla), Mocha Chip Muffins (from VwaV, I omit the coffee and just use more cocoa, as Isa suggests in the recipe), Fruitabu, Gingerbread Cake (recipe from Vegan Lunch Box), pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips mixed (with teeny, tiny pieces of either almonds or walnuts mixed in; if he notices, he won't eat it because he says he hates nuts), A square of an Endangered Species bar (we like Black Panther) with a few Dandies Marshmallows

Sometimes he eats it, sometimes he doesn't. Some days he loves certain items, the next day you would think that I tried to poison him to death with the putrid contents of his lunchbox (~; Sometimes I wonder if his lunches are well rounded enough, but he is sort of a picky eater, so I am just happy if I can get him to eat all of the above. I like using recipes from The Vegan Lunch Box because she keeps them pretty basic and not so bland that they are boring, but bland enough for picky eaters. Hope this helps!

Last edited by mel on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 am 

Wow you guys are amazing! thanks everyone for taking time to write all these great ideas :-D
This helps so much!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:56 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

my son is a picky omni but he likes:

spinakopita (i use store-bought flaky-pastry, still enough work)
pasta-salad (pasta, vegannaise, chickpeas, tomatoes, gherkins)
"burger without gristle"
sandwiches with tartex
trail mixes
cookies ( homemade, no sugar, a bit maple sirup - helen nearing's recipe)
apple slices (bathed in lemon juice, so they don't get brown)