| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Midtown Manhattan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:13 am 
FAYGO

Hey there, office drones. Who else works in midtown and is looking for new lunch options? Here are the places I hit up while at work. Please add your own!

Milk and Honey - bagels with scallion, vegetable and plain tofu cream cheese. They also make water bagels and often have veg sushi at lunch time.
Just Salad - I ate almost nothing but this all summer.
Zen Palate - There's a minimum order if you go through SeamlessWeb, but if you call on the phone, they usually forget. I'm not crazy about most of their food, but I dig their soup a lot.
Madras Mahal - via SeamlessWeb, it's a $20 minimum order, so I order three days worth of happiness.
Maoz/Crisp - Semi-decent franchise falafel, but there are so many falafel options in NYC that you can probably do better.
FreeFoods - does a tempeh reuben and has some vegan sweets, but they're pretty expensive and not amazing. I ordered their ice cream once and it was delivered in a solid block and tasted like poison.
Two Boots Pizza - The Mrs. Peel is vegan (cheeseless, but plenty of veg)
Kyotofu - I went there for dinner once and wasn't crazy about the food, but they were out of a lot of things, including the soft serve, which I've heard good things about
Queen of Sheba - Ethiopian, not vegan plenty of options and if you go to eat there with a group, they'll offer to plate veg stuff separately from the meat
'wichraft - The chickpea sandwich is vegan

Amish Market - They have vegan lunch options in the fridge (those macrobiotic noodle things, packaged sandwiches, etc.), Amy's frozen stuff, Sweet and Sara products, vegan ice cream, etc. but watch the prices; some are OK, but then they charge $30 for a bottle of maple syrup you can get for $19 at Whole Foods
Grand Central Market - Good for emergency grocery shopping and you can usually get vegan cookies and chocolate there. GC also has a Two Boots and a few other places with vegan options in the food court
Health Nuts - In addition to a decent bulk selection (for midtown), they have a decent range of vegan cheeses, chocolates, and other options. They're also the only place I've been that sells vegan popsicles individually, in case you just want one serving of ice cream, just like everyone else.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Midtown Manhattan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:59 am 
Member type 4

All of those midtown options make me sad that I work uptown.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi! First post. :)

Pax also has great vegan soups, and they are all over midtown. Just look for the V and no other letters on the label, and they'll also give you the ingredients if you ask. Also, two blocks from Grand Central on 42nd between 2nd and 3rd is Aroma, an Israeli cafe with some yummy vegan option for sandwiches, even though they aren't vegan, and they often have a vegan soup of the day. I think all their food is organic, too. They have a lovely avocado sandwich. Ess-a-Bagel on 3rd between 50th and 51st has more varieties of tofu cream cheese than I've ever seen — walnut raisin, olive and sundried tomato are added to the usual plain, veggie and scallion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am 
Semen Strong

There are a ton of Chipotles in midtown - which are a good sometimes option.

And I LOVE this amazing Japanese place near my office that make fresh tofu and a fantastic mushroom salad. Nothing else is vegan, but the fresh tofu with three different salts is really special and spectacular:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/aburiya-kinnosuke-new-york

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:34 am 
Saggy Butt

i like westerly market on 54th & 8th for when i'm in a hurry. they have lots of pre-packaged vegan sandwiches, salads, and noodles and they also have a juice bar and lots of raw foods in the back. the aisles are tiny and it's not always cheap, but it's reliable when i'm in the area and want something to go.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

RavenMcCoy wrote:
i like westerly market on 54th & 8th for when i'm in a hurry. they have lots of pre-packaged vegan sandwiches, salads, and noodles and they also have a juice bar and lots of raw foods in the back. the aisles are tiny and it's not always cheap, but it's reliable when i'm in the area and want something to go.

also you can always count on Westerley for having all the hard-to-find, vegan, specialty, junk-food items. Last time I was there they had tons of Cheezly, and the only place I saw Tofurky frozen pizzas in Manhattan (this might've changed the last few months)

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:30 pm 
FAYGO

Quarantined wrote:
RavenMcCoy wrote:

also you can always count on Westerley for having all the hard-to-find, vegan, specialty, junk-food items. Last time I was there they had tons of Cheezly, and the only place I saw Tofurky frozen pizzas in Manhattan (this might've changed the last few months)

This is good to know. I've been wanting to try these.

Goodburger on 2nd Ave and 43rd has a vegan burger. It's....eh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:35 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

fabulous_muscles wrote:
All of those midtown options make me sad that I work uptown.

Me too. Uptown is bleak.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

RavenMcCoy wrote:

I used to hit Westerly at least a couple times a week when I worked at Columbus Circle. Usually for their hot soup, or the raw foods in back which were kind of new when I left that job. It was convenient to also pick up some of their fresh ground nut butters or bulk food while on my lunch break.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 am 
Saggy Butt

well whaddya know, i'm now a midtown worker myself. my new job is around 5th ave and 59th st and so far i've only found some sad delis amidst the blocks of expensive shopping. i wish i had time to walk to the whole foods at columbus circle on my hour break, but unfortunately it's a bit of a stretch. anyone know of a good place (or even a not-so-sad deli) in the 50s?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 am 
FAYGO

Melissa Bastian recently blogged about Japanese options not far from there: http://newyorkingreen.blogspot.com/2010 ... te-of.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 am 
Semen Strong

If you like Japanese in midtown you totally have to try Aburiya Kinnosuke for amazing fresh tofu. I've never had anything more yummy than fresh tofu with their selection of flavored salt and a delicious and huge mushroom salad.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Here's my meager contribution to the Midtown guide:

Health Nuts- 2nd avenue between 44th & 45th. Small grocery with a hot food & juice bar.
Health Harvest- 2nd Avenue between 43rd & 44th. Similar to Health Nuts. The staff is really nice & friendly, but I've found quite a few things on the shelves that were past their expiration date.
Amish Market- 45th street between 2nd & 3rd avenues. A little pricey, but it's good for finding snacks.
Juice shop on 3rd avenue between 43rd & 44th. Fresh veggie/fruit juice not far from Grand Central. I think the shop is actually called something other than "juice shop" but I'm afraid I've forgotten. It's not a chain.
Jamba Juice on Lexington between 52nd & 53rd. Corporate chain, but convenient when it's hot out & you've only got 20 minutes to grab something.
Dag Hammarskjold greenmarket- Farmer's market right in front of the UN every Wednesday. It's amazing in the warmer months and significatly smaller in the winter, but still not bad at all.
Good Health Burger on 53rd between 2nd & 3rd avenues. Amazing & huge, well-marked vegan menu! Not much space for dining in, but it's perfect for eating outside on a sunny day.
Blockheads 2nd avenue between 50th & 51st streets. Not the tastiest Mexican food ever, but pretty vegan-friendly. They have nondairy cheese & sour cream. Oh, and $3 margaritas if drinking's your thing.
Green Olive -new place on 46th between 2nd & 1st avenus (closer to 2nd). Mediterranean food, lots of pita & hummus. It's pretty new, so it's usually crowded with office workers excited about a new food option.

Hope that's helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:41 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

japancakes wrote:
Here's my meager contribution to the Midtown guide:

Health Nuts- 2nd avenue between 44th & 45th. Small grocery with a hot food & juice bar.
Health Harvest- 2nd Avenue between 43rd & 44th. Similar to Health Nuts. The staff is really nice & friendly, but I've found quite a few things on the shelves that were past their expiration date.
Amish Market- 45th street between 2nd & 3rd avenues. A little pricey, but it's good for finding snacks.
Juice shop on 3rd avenue between 43rd & 44th. Fresh veggie/fruit juice not far from Grand Central. I think the shop is actually called something other than "juice shop" but I'm afraid I've forgotten. It's not a chain.
Jamba Juice on Lexington between 52nd & 53rd. Corporate chain, but convenient when it's hot out & you've only got 20 minutes to grab something.
Dag Hammarskjold greenmarket- Farmer's market right in front of the UN every Wednesday. It's amazing in the warmer months and significatly smaller in the winter, but still not bad at all.
Good Health Burger on 53rd between 2nd & 3rd avenues. Amazing & huge, well-marked vegan menu! Not much space for dining in, but it's perfect for eating outside on a sunny day.
Blockheads 2nd avenue between 50th & 51st streets. Not the tastiest Mexican food ever, but pretty vegan-friendly. They have nondairy cheese & sour cream. Oh, and $3 margaritas if drinking's your thing.
Green Olive -new place on 46th between 2nd & 1st avenus (closer to 2nd). Mediterranean food, lots of pita & hummus. It's pretty new, so it's usually crowded with office workers excited about a new food option.

Hope that's helpful!

Aw man! I was going to suggest Good Health Burger but someone beat me to it! Try the Tex-Mex Burger, I dream about it for weeks. GHB isn't not 100% vegan though, but they are good with substitutions and knowledge about veganism.
I need to hit up Westerly again for some raw gelato! Yay Midtown!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 am 
FAYGO

Does anyone ever try to get a breakfast that isn't a bagel or dry toast?

I very rarely eat breakfast, but I'm starving right now and can't think of a damn thing I can get around here. Crisp briefly made tofu scrambles, but that's long gone. Is there anything to eat?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
Does anyone ever try to get a breakfast that isn't a bagel or dry toast?

I very rarely eat breakfast, but I'm starving right now and can't think of a damn thing I can get around here. Crisp briefly made tofu scrambles, but that's long gone. Is there anything to eat?

Le Pain Quotidien has amazing steel cut oatmeal, and a bunch of other vegan options.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:39 pm 
FAYGO

Perfect! Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Many of these! Also, Loving Hut (ethnically vegan) and Home on 8th (Chinese)when I have time for a stroll.

Woorijip (Korean cafeteria) on 32nd between 5th and 6th has good, clearly labeled vegetarian options, and as far as I can tell, everything marked vedge is also eggless. (But don't quote me on that. DON'T.) Plenty of vegan options in the buffet if you aren't overly concerned with the distinct possibility of cross-contamination. Their vegetable bi bim bap is one of the best deals in midtown. And the only way to make the prices at Hangawi (fancypants Korean) reasonable is to order from their takeout lunch menu...but there are only a few dishes there that aren't fatally bland.

Hale and Hearty (soup) is also good with the labeling, has stores all over the place, and they always have at least half a dozen vegan options.

For falafel, Pick-a-Pita is good. But one of the guys who works there saw me in line at Maoz a few months ago and kind of confronted me about it the next time I went there? Now I feel weird about going back. It's also not as much fun going there since they moved out of the weird alcove with the screen door behind a loading dock.

Green symphony (health food style buffet/salad/Korean food) is good when I feel like introducing some diversity into my lunch (ie, things that aren't brown and fried). They have stuff like quinoa salad and kale and so on. You know, hippie food.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was a slave to that chickpea sandwich at 'Wichcraft, always got it with additional arugula piled on top.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:12 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ooh, I forgot about Pick-a-Pita. That's one of my favorites. I love their spicy green sauce, and they don't charge extra to put eggplant on your falafel like most places. If you go there after 4, it's only $3 for a sandwich

For more falafel, there are two Maoz branches in the area.. one at 7th and 41st and one on 8th around 43-44th. I like Maoz too although I always end up overstuffing my pita and it falls apart and makes a big mess. But that's my fault, not theirs. Their fresh juices are nice too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 pm 
Semen Strong

I like Kosher Deluxe a lot. They have good falafel and give you a ton of veggies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Chickpea is officially open at Penn Station. I walked by this morning and saw them open for business. (I haven't eaten there yet though. It wasn't open as of last Fri.)

It is in between the Amtrack and NJ Transit areas - just a few stores down from the Penn Sushi place (which also has good sushi - I like the black rice & cuke/avo roll).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 am 
rowdily playing checkers

The one thing this neighborhood does not want for is falafel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 pm 
Member type 4

The only thing I can eat in this neighborhood is falafel (central pk N, the tip top)... or subway, but I have a rule about subway -- never go there.

Stupid UES.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

i used to work at Broadway & 36th. some places i liked:

Leña Latin Grill - W 35th between 5th & 6th Aves. they do build-your-own platters, wraps, and salads - one of my favorites is the tofu wrap with coconut rice, black beans, and bbq sauce.
Hale & Hearty Soups - always have several vegan options, plus salad and sandwiches if you feel like it. menu changes every day.
Bravo Pizza - the 37th & B'way location usually had at least one cheeseless option by the slice, often a salad pizza. maybe a little unusual, but reeeaaaaallly goooood.
Jerusalem 2 Pizza - B'way between 37th & 38th. hummus & Israeli salad in a pita for 5 bucks. their buffet has this amazing avocado salad that's kind of like a deconstructed guacamole. not the greatest place, and really busy during lunch, but it was quick and only a block from my building.
Crisp, as mentioned

there were probably a few other places i went to more than once, but they're not coming to mind.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next