| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nova Scotia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I sorta do, was pretty much bilingual when I lived in Montreal and Ottawa but in the 20 years I have been back here have not had much chance to speak it. Acadian French is much different from Quebec French too. I too find my comprehension is good but I just can't fish the darned words out of my brain.

My best idea so far to get back up to speed in French was to date a French (from France) man and that's been going well, but I wouldn't suggest that route for you. In Wolfville there maybe a conversational French meetup group or something similar. I was thinking of getting some audiobooks from the library but haven't yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:12 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thank you for confirming Acadia French being very, very different! Also everyone I've spoken French to finds my struggle absolutely hilarious--something I've experienced in Quebec too, but nonetheless not very encouraging! I get that it's hilarious that I had French immersion education in Southern Alberta.

Is it just me or are there a frighteningly huge amount of accidents on the 101 and 103? I love my work days in Halifax but it's freaking me out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes, too many accidents. Too much hurry and carelessness that people blame on a non-divided highway. I drive about 200 km a day on average (around HRM, mostly outside the city, thank goodness, because of the nature of my work) and I see lots of that.

I took a French immersion program at Pointe de L'Eglise years ago and could converse fluently with the Quebec/French instructors but when faced with an Acadian fisherman could not understand one word in 10!. It is like native English speakers trying to understand cockney English - almost a different language.

Maybe we should organize a French conversation group. Gol wouldn't laugh at you as he has worked so hard to learn English (it's his third language -Spanish is his mother tongue and French he learned before age 4).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:43 pm 

Let's do it! I will be such a bad conversationalist but I can follow.

Yes, something's wrong when so many people are getting into life-threatening accidents just because a highway is undivided. People like to talk about accidents a lot too, I've noticed. The rain was flooding the 12 today (yesterday, it's late) and man, we definitely needed those winter tires. We have to take the 12 on a daily basis and (for snow) sometimes they clear the King's side and sometimes just Lunenburg. Either way--we cover each side.

That Windsor part of the 101 is pretty creepy too.
Wow, 200 km--that's not unusual for me either but that is a fair distance!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:50 pm 

EDNA has vegan French toast on the brunch menu. Going Saturday. Will report back.

What's your favourite ethnic food shop (I'm always looking for Asian, Indian, and Ethiopian ingredients) in Halifax?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh hey, Edna is across the street from Gol's condo. We've never been because for some reason he thought it was expensive and I hadn't looked at the menu until now. Same prices as other brunch places we've been to.

Tian Phat on the Bedford Highway is very good, but I've also heard good things about the grocery on the corner of Chebucto Road and Philip St. I would love to find a prepared Berbere because I don't want to make it myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 pm 

Arisaig wrote:
Oh hey, Edna is across the street from Gol's condo. We've never been because for some reason he thought it was expensive and I hadn't looked at the menu until now. Same prices as other brunch places we've been to.

Tian Phat on the Bedford Highway is very good, but I've also heard good things about the grocery on the corner of Chebucto Road and Philip St. I would love to find a prepared Berbere because I don't want to make it myself.

Thanks! I found a good berbere at the culinary supply store in Lunenburg, of all places. I'm looking for cheaper and more esoteric stuff though--I mean to check out Tian Phat though!

The Nook and Obladee also have some cool vegan options!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lobsteriffic wrote:
Next August my cousin is getting married in Chester - and I think I'm going to go. So excited! I don't know anything about Chester other than that it's near Halifax, which I've visited before and loved.

So today I officially RSVP'd no to the wedding. :(

I mean, it's for a happy reason, I'm having a baby 5 days before the wedding, and I'm happy about that, but I'm bummed about not going to Nova Scotia this summer!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:19 pm 

Whoa! Baby! WHAT! Congrats lobster!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks! I'm sad about not meeting PPKers but some other time! All of your IG photos make me want to visit!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

A baby is a pretty good compensation for missing a wedding and a trip to Nova Scotia. Congratulations Lobsterrific!

How do you guys feel about the chicken-feeding bald eagle show in the valley? I want to go and see the eagles but I'm grossed out and morally conflicted about the chicken thing.

I actually saw a bald eagle swoop low in front of my living room window on Tuesday which was exciting. We used to see them all the time in Antigonish - most amazingly we would see the parents teaching their baby to fly down by the harbour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 am 

Wow, I haven't heard of that. I must get my thoughts in order. Where is it held?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Near Wolfville. Here's the website http://www.eaglens.ca

It's only officially last weekend and this one coming but I've heard chickens are put out unofficially fairly often.

Now I'm thinking about backyard chickens and thinking that's another good reason to buy a condo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:47 am 

We just booked an anniversary celebration in Cape Breton at Cabot Shores! The BIstro's chef specializes in vegan cuisine! I am so excited and can't wait to get out on snowshoes.

Incidentally, any recommendations for food in Antigonish for an upcoming work trip?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 am 

Oh PS Seoul is one of my new favourite restaurants in the city. Their kimchi is vegan and perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:53 am 

So Pete's in Wolfville is closing. :(

Cabot Shores was great! Highly recommend it. Not only did we get really lovingly prepared vegan meals, they somehow (pretty impressive, for being an hour and a half from a grocery store that stocks them) had all the vegan products and staples on hand--earth balance, tofu, almond milk, even vegenaise.

Obladee Wine Bar--have I mentioned that? They have vegan charcuterie! The aged cashew cheese (from Envie) they have is even served with a reduction made from our cider.

Also on Tuesday I had a dosa in the Scotia Centre mall, which is apparently the only place that does dosa in the city, and only after peak hours. It took half an hour but it was the best mall food I've ever had.

Someone come eat with me in Halifax! I am there for work at least twice a week these days, and at the end of the month I'll be there for four days straight. I'm usually travelling alone and seeking out vegan food everywhere. I try to go to our keg accounts as much as possible but even many of those places (Foggy Goggle, Wooden Monkey, Lion & Bright, Nook, Edna etc...) have some vegan options.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ugh, vijita, I used to work in an office downtown but now I am on the road, mostly in the far flung places of HRM, at lunch time. If you staying in the city at the end of the month I would love to meet for dinner after work.

It's sad about Pete's in Wolfville. I find that the grocery stores and Bulk Barn here are stocking many products that you could only ever find before at Pete's so that might be a factor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:59 am 

Arisaig wrote:
Ugh, vijita, I used to work in an office downtown but now I am on the road, mostly in the far flung places of HRM, at lunch time. If you staying in the city at the end of the month I would love to meet for dinner after work.

It's sad about Pete's in Wolfville. I find that the grocery stores and Bulk Barn here are stocking many products that you could only ever find before at Pete's so that might be a factor.

Yeah, it's not that I will super miss Pete's because I didn't shop there often due to the expense (sorry, Pete's, for being a Wolfville resident who put you out of business...:() but I will miss my British crisps and the steady supply of Acadiana smoked tofu.

Sounds good re: end of the month! I'll be there the 24, 25, and 26th. And many other days too, such as this Thursday after 6:30pm looking for dinner? I am working at the Convention Centre but will want to eat before I trek home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 am 

I'm still in love with NS but shdfkjhselhsfbfbhvbufvviur. http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia ... y-research

They took away our agricultural funding for hiring two Acadia students to work at our sustainable, local, winery. They ruined the film industry. Money goes to mink farms. Disgusting.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

hey NS! I have a residency in New Edinburgh and i'll be there for a couple weeks (June 6th-23rd), anyone wanna meet up? my schedule is pretty much "make art and write things and wander around" so I can deffo do small road rips to other parts!

AND if you wanted to participate in a project i'm thinking of doing I will bring you art and zines as payment!

<3 <3 Boober

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Whoa, I haven't been here in so long, sorry Vijita. Boober, are you in Halifax? I am free this weekend since my boy is at his dad's and the fella is coaching in the Valley for the whole weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:45 am 

was anyone at halifax vegfest? I was vending! It was pretty fun. Honestly reminded me a ton of SF Vegfest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I didn't make it - went to the cottage instead. It's encouraging that it's so popular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:26 am 

Envie changed their menu and it's flipping amazing. I had Found, Foraged, Pickled. But I need to try everything.

(It's EXPENSIVE. I'm okay with that in this case. It's good forking food.)

http://enviehalifax.com/wp-content/uplo ... 06-Web.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:01 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yum! I haven't been there in ages. Did you see Fruition has a new cafe on Coburg Road? I love their hot and sour soup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next