| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new sensitivity to wheat... now what??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

So as I get older {ahem} I find myself less able to digest carbs comfortably.. ick. Wheat products {all the things I love like wholegrain breads, hippie pizza, etc} are the worst by far, but even large amts of rice or oatmeal {which I also love and can EAT} will cause upset. My stomach hurts like crazy about 12-24 hours after any high carb meal.. It is much the sensation of eating and trying to digest a brick.
The only remedy I find is to eat LOTS of fresh fruits, veggies, drink lots of water, etc, all that common-sense stuff, with some veggie/fruits smoothies added in, some "juiced" juices, etc. I love these foods too, but, a super low carb life was just not in my plan. :( However, the stomach pain and difficulty that follows too much starchy food is absolutely not at all worth it.. Sympathy, recipes, tips welcome. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: new sensitivity to wheat... now what??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Loads on sympathy here! I hate the gut pain that's associated with gluten. It's probably worth your while to get tested to know if it's really celiac, because then you need to be really cautious and not cheat at all. Also there are complications that come with it.

You don't have to give up starches if it's just wheat you are feeling sick from. There's quinoa, rice, millet, teff, corn, GF oats, and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now. It takes time to adjust to a new way of eating but it's still just as tasty.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i hear you- my gluten sensitivity comes and goes- i did about 4 months GF last year, then added some gluten back in. With few ill effects, even. But I feel like I've got an axe hanging over my head every time i eat wheat, so I try to keep it minimal. Also, i can see a direct connection between my rosacea and how much wheat i eat, so it's good motivation- my skin is finally decent, and i would hate to go back to looking how i did before.
I try to do as much raw food as possible, which makes me get through the danger spots in my day where i want wheat- breakfast i have a smoothie instead of the bread, and dinner i try to have some kind of wrap with leaves. it's only about middling successful. I am not really a naturally happy raw fooder but it keeps my face out of the cracker jar (and avoids the resulting gut pain after).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:59 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I'm going back and forth with the idea that the gluten might be causing my migraines. I'm going to finish up my tofurky tomorrow and then I think I may try a GF trial - few weeks, month.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:31 am 
Huffs Nooch

appifanie wrote:
I'm going back and forth with the idea that the gluten might be causing my migraines. I'm going to finish up my tofurky tomorrow and then I think I may try a GF trial - few weeks, month.

Wheat was most definitely causing my headaches! I haven't had any since cutting out wheat from my diet, I didn't really link the two until after I cut out wheat though

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:04 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I've had 2 bad migraines in 14 days or so instead of the 4 or so a week i was getting, and the first one was on day 1 and the other one was probably my fault (dehydrated)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]