| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: let's talk photography!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:16 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I added you as a contact! Even though I haven't used flickr in a while. Maybe I'll get back to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm about to start school for art education with photography as a minor. I just got a Canon 550D/T2i and I really love it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a Nikon D50 and a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot. Right now I need to get my nikon cleaned since there is dust inside so I've been using the lumix. It was an early Christmas present for us when we went to France and I am absolutely in love with it. It has a wide angle leica lens and while I'm not usually a big fan of shooting modes it has a pinhole feature which is really fun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:08 pm 

Here are some photos from France

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:32 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Oh my gosh, Catalina- those are so gorgeous! My art history class has given me a new appreciation for architecture. Those are stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Catalina wrote:

I love the last second one with the mountains. I'm a real sucker for mountains.

Anyway, hello! I'm really into photography but don't really know where I'm going with it. I have a Canon EOS 450 D and a 50 mm 1,8 lens, which I use most of the time. I like photographing people, food and animals, as well as the daily life. I'm not that into nature photography, but do it anyway since the nature here is stunning. I did a self portrait project last spring, which taught me a lot but it's not my thing. I feel like I need to have a project or something, otherwise it feels like I just don't get anywhere. I have to come up with something for 2011. I have a flickr where I share some photos form time to time, but not that many really. Anyway, it's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/falovi/

Do you have a special niche or project that you're working on right now?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:12 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

pannkakan wrote:
Catalina wrote:

I love the last second one with the mountains. I'm a real sucker for mountains.

Anyway, hello! I'm really into photography but don't really know where I'm going with it. I have a Canon EOS 450 D and a 50 mm 1,8 lens, which I use most of the time. I like photographing people, food and animals, as well as the daily life. I'm not that into nature photography, but do it anyway since the nature here is stunning. I did a self portrait project last spring, which taught me a lot but it's not my thing. I feel like I need to have a project or something, otherwise it feels like I just don't get anywhere. I have to come up with something for 2011. I have a flickr where I share some photos form time to time, but not that many really. Anyway, it's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/falovi/

Do you have a special niche or project that you're working on right now?

Hey, I added you as a contact! I really dig your style.
I'm still in the n00b stage, trying to get to know my camera and the fundamentals. I've been touring the parks in my state with my dad, snapping shots of the few things spartan enough to stay in Michigan for winter. I was working with my cousin at her photo studio and shot some weddings, pets, and newborns; it was challenging, but interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

I like photography and I am sometimes good at it! Good enough to get myself a wedding gig in September (hopefully I don't screw it up). You can see some of my stuff here: http://carolawesome.virb.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a Canon 20D and my current Canon 7D. I love them both, but I can do a bunch more stuff with the 7D. My favorite is the Live View mode, which allows you to see the image on the screen before you take the shot. My favorite two lenses are the Canon 50mm f/1.4 (yummy!) and Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro (double-yum 1:1).

Here's a shot from today. The book is actually Appetite For Reduction!

It's Love - Iron Photographer 130 - Utata by Amarand Agasi, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:40 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

guy burgess wrote:
I think going to university for photography, when i did, was the worst mistake ever; I did not enjoy it at all. From the hyper critical theory side that made you over think everything (and question ANYTHING you took pictures of) to the lack of support, was frustrating. Maybe I expected too much from the experience but I do feel like it knocked my love of photography massively.

This exactly is one of the issues I have with being a photography major.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:53 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

AutumnVegan wrote:
guy burgess wrote:
I think going to university for photography, when i did, was the worst mistake ever; I did not enjoy it at all. From the hyper critical theory side that made you over think everything (and question ANYTHING you took pictures of) to the lack of support, was frustrating. Maybe I expected too much from the experience but I do feel like it knocked my love of photography massively.

This exactly is one of the issues I have with being a photography major.

I think that, over time, once you learn the basics...and once you develop your critical side, you can blend that into your own style. Every time you pick up the camera, regardless of whether it's the same subject (for example: an egg) or the same lighting, camera, or props; you are taking the picture, and that will show through.

Over on Flickr, there's a group called Utata, and they have a group called Iron Photographer. Every other week (on Wednesday) they release a random three elements (this week is kitchen utensil, text and magnified). They don't tell you in any way, shape, or form how to use these elements (unless there is an element restriction) and there really isn't any critique. It's a great way to not only keep your hand in the game, get some feedback, but also to develop your own style and get ideas. I'm pretty sure everyone gets ideas from other people, but again, it's you who is picking up the camera, so your entire range of experience (not just what you get from a series of photography lessons) will be brought to bear on that subject. It's actually more challenging to take a photograph that is identical to someone else's than it is to let it be different naturally.

Whew. And it's only Monday! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I want to have and really learn to use an SLR so badly that I can hardly stand myself. But for now I'm trying to be content with my Canon Powershot. It will at least let me do some things manually and it has some nice features.

Catalina, your photos are stunning!

My flickr (also deearess) is what I use to post stuff on the ppk so it's not all mine, but I have quite a lot on my website galleries.
http://drsimpsongallery.com/html/galleryIndex.html

But here are few favorites:

From my niece's senior photo shoot

And now I'll stop so as not to takeover the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Re conversation right above my previous post...

stages of a photographer chart (when image is readable it's too large to post here)
http://www.digitalhooligans.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/stages-of-a-photographer.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Some really beautiful photos here :)

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:08 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My mom is letting me borrow her Canon Rebel XT indefinitely. I'm determined to learn how to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 pm 

Woah guys, I entered photos in the state fair and I got my notice yesterday that two of my four photos have been picked to be shown! I've entered photos for several years and this is the first year I've ever had them picked. Also, there was a little sticker on the note that said 'award'. Now I want to know which ones were picked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's awesome, Catalina!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Congrats!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:01 am 
Tofu Pup

guy burgess wrote:
I think going to university for photography, when i did, was the worst mistake ever; I did not enjoy it at all. From the hyper critical theory side that made you over think everything (and question ANYTHING you took pictures of) to the lack of support, was frustrating.

Oh yes this sounds very, very familiar. ;p I'm approaching my third year of a BA(Hons) in Photography and I'm not LOVING it. What annoys me the most is that I haven't been taught any technical skills past "this is how you print in the darkroom", "this is how you resize an image in Photoshop (duh)", "this is how you don't kill yourself with the flashes in the studio" - as far as employability as a photographer after uni when I most likely won't be a famous art photographer, I might as well not have gone. I've developed a lot as a photographer though, and I've taught myself a lot of skills as well (and I do enjoy the critical theory side actually).

A few images for good measure:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

some fantastic photos on here :)
I love photography and am always trying to take better pictures i taught myself how to use an slr and am starting to understand the fundamentals of it :) but jesus its a long way from a point and click :) i use a eos 1000d but am saving for a 5d mk2 as im outgrowing the camera as the iso is too low and can get a bit noisy.
here is a pic i took of my daughter asleep :) dunno how to make it any bigger.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62347580@N07/5674794487/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:27 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I have a friend who graduated from a photography degree here and said there was very little technical direction.

I've just bought at Canon 6000D, I had to get it on credit so couldn't afford to go any higher. It has live view on the 3" screen which is great because I have a pretty bad astigmatism in my viewing eye and wearing glasses makes it impossible to get your eye properly into the viewfinder too. The screen flips out (like a camcorder) and that allows me to take much better angled shots, I can hold it up above my head to get crowd shots which still seeing exactly what the camera is looking at.

I used photography years ago just mostly as a catalogue of my art degree but it was the only thing I was able to keep up when I had to drop the degree due to ill health. I recently got picked up out of the blue by a marketing firm and they're going to give me casual work as an events photographer and sometimes documentary photographer on fashion shoots. I'm really enjoying it because it's allowing me to create some nice candid portraits of people and getting behind the scenes is interesting. I'm still not well enough to do it full time and the benefits office have capped my earnings on a permitted work scheme but, if I can get my neuro issues stabalised, the plan it to run with it and see if I can go self-employed. My areas of interest are events, documentary, some music and hopefully candid portraits of kids and animals. Had great fun photographing a Halloween Party last week, it was only my second time trying this style so I couldn't charge, it's for my portfolio. I really need a flashgun but can't afford one atm so will have to try out some sort of improvising.

I have a paid job next week, photographing Santa's arrival at a massive shopping mall, so. much. fun!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Oh man, you guys gotta try this trick for flash defusing! http://content.photojojo.com/diy/diy-fi ... -diffuser/ It actually works, it's genus! I had to do a lot of flash work last night and didn't have the money for a gun or any sort of reflector so tried it in desperation and the shots are gorgeous! I was even able to photograph babies with it and no white out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:53 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm in the process of transferring to a school with a better photo program, and I'm actually really excited for the hyper-critical theory side. I am so down for learning basic principles and analyzing the crepe out of images until my brain explodes. You guys do such beautiful work! Norvegan, I can't stop staring at your second shot. It's absolutely lovely.

I use a Canon Rebel T2i named Victoria, a Canon AE-1 named Saraha, and an Ansco Cadet named Aaron (but I've yet to find film for that him, sigh sigh). I'm also a big fan of pinhole, when I have access to large-scale film. I'm a darkroom fiend, but I like digital well enough.

Here's some of my stuff:

Look look look! It's the very first photoshoot- and one of the very first pictures- I ever did with Victoria (or any DSLR).

Okay so my friend and I got all set up for this shoot, and then I turned on Victoria... and her battery was dead. We still wanted to do a shoot, though, so I took this (and the rest of the shoot) with an iPhone.

In real life, the whites on this are a really bright, hot white, not the weird grey tone that happened when I scanned it. Anyway, this is my first ever pinhole shot.