| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The 30 Minute Vegan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:57 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I just ordered this one, judging from the amazon preview it looks pretty decent. I have NO time these days and I'm tired of eating like crepe.

Does anyone have it? Do you have any favorite recipes?

Post subject: Re: The 30 Minute Vegan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:37 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I dont have it, but i want it so please post a review after you've used it a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:54 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I've had this book for awhile and it gets a lot of use. The Peruvian Quinoa Veg soup is the best, and so easy! You basically throw everything in the pot as you chop it and let it cook until the quinoa is done. My other favorites are the guacamole, jamaican veg medley, warm spinach salad, southwest roasted asparagus w/ corn, and thai green curry. Oh, and the coleslaw w/ shaved fennel has become my go-to coleslaw.

Things do take a little longer than 30 min sometimes depending on your chopping skills, but I feel like the recipes are at least do-able on an evening after work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 am 
So Totally Yiffy

**double post**

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The Coco Beans and Rice are wicked easy and really good. The recipe is one of my staple templates - I switch out different grains, beans, and spices all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love this book. Some really nice recipes. Love the recipes for quinoa kitchari and coconut macaroons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I actually have an extra copy of this. If anyone's interested in doing a trade that would be awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

You might want to check out the blog Angst Loves Spinach as the person who writes it uses this book quite often. It looks like it has some good recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:51 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

This is a great cookbook! My daughter liked the recipes so much she took my copy and I had to buy another. We have one of the recipes (and video) from the book on Everyday Dish. It's the Quinoa Kitchari recipe.

I highly recommend this book!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've rented it from the Library and never got around to making anything from it, but I remember I wanted it. Everything looked really good and pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i want to know more about what people like, too. i have this book and have never made anything out of it. i need to!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The enchilada sauce and kitchari are two of our favorites. I'll ask my daughter what she's made from it. Everything I've tried has been excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Uh…bump. I dove back into this book last night because I needed some quick meals! I've cooked a lot from it since my last post, and really like most of what I've made. Anyhow, last night I made three new recipes. The Thai coconut soup was pretty excellent, even though I didn't realize I didn't have lemongrass until it came time to add it. I just added a bit of lemon zest. Also used regular ginger, and added extra soy sauce at the end since I didn't use vegetable broth. It's so good! I made the homey vegetable stew as is, except for using AP flour instead of spelt. It's fantastic, and the dumplings are a perfect addition. I like that both of those recipes say to just start the soup, then add in veggies as you chop them. I usually do mise en place, but it does take more time (and creates more dishes). They came together very quickly this way. There's a cold cucumber salad with sesame seeds and nori that I also threw together. I left out the red onion because I don't like too much raw onion in dishes, but should have probably added a little garlic in its place. Otherwise, this is good. Kind of like a quick pickle, really. The nori wouldn't zest, so I just chopped it up as finely as possible. Nice and light!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

allularpunk wrote:
i want to know more about what people like, too. i have this book and have never made anything out of it. i need to!

I made one dressing once and I hated it. I really dont know where to start/continue with this book.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Somewhere other than that one dressing you made? There are a lot of basic, easy recipes in this book and at the bottom of almost every single recipe there are variations listed. I haven't made any of the dressings, but a lot of the main courses and soups I have made have been fantastic.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I just feel from reading through the book that it flip flops between extremely simple/plain stuff and fussy stuff with ingredients that are hard to get here. I'll try to take a look at the soups again. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:16 am 
Baking In The Flavor

This was one of the first vegan books I bought. I haven't used it too much because some of the ingredients are hard to get around here. But I love the orange beet soup and I have made it a few times. I was worried because when I was omni I never liked orange chicken and I was worried that this would have a simular flavor. It didn't at all and I only got a hint of orange (which was good!)

I also like the Raven Ramen soup. I added tons of vegetables. It was so easy and took almost no time at all.