| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lavawitch, I have a bird question for you....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

torque wrote:
yes, the tiel makes so much dandruff that it's almost incomprehensible how much mess he makes. he's always growing new feathers, and always nibbling off the feather sheaths (or whatever they're called) and the detritus just floats in clouds around him when he preens.
as for the poops, it's a daily sweeping and maybe mopping situation. he has his favorite places, but he also has no shame.

A small cockatiel creates more feather dust and debris than Molly AND the macaw combined. No contest.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bergedy just sent me a recording of her house when she was baking and the birds were both making crazy noises. You should listen to it...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I want to hear it Vantine!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

lavawitch wrote:
torque wrote:
yes, the tiel makes so much dandruff that it's almost incomprehensible how much mess he makes. he's always growing new feathers, and always nibbling off the feather sheaths (or whatever they're called) and the detritus just floats in clouds around him when he preens.
as for the poops, it's a daily sweeping and maybe mopping situation. he has his favorite places, but he also has no shame.

A small cockatiel creates more feather dust and debris than Molly AND the macaw combined. No contest.

:-0 ( that's my shocked face... )

Instead of giving him the cliff notes, I'm just going to have my husband read this thread....so much good stuff in here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kibbles wrote:
I want to hear it Vantine!

This is a voice memo from my phone which should give you an idea of how loud the birds in a different room actually were.

I don't have a better of way of sharing it other than posting it for you to download and listed to.

Link: http://cid-54bdcf599291fe66.office.live ... ifications (It is called memo.m4a)

The cockatoo is screaming, making squeaking door sounds and adding in some kissy noises for good measure. The sun conure just beeps really loud.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/SimplyVegan
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vegchicblog
Instagram: http://instagram.com/vegchicblog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm another +1 to the interestingness of this thread.

I played the recording and cammie was really interested in it. Usually she isn't too interested in birdies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly enjoyed the recording! She was all attention, with her head cocked to one side.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

lavawitch wrote:
torque wrote:

If the tiel will take baths on its own or accept spray bath, that might help. I need to give Tommy (cockatoo - big version of a tiel) a spray bath on a regular basis or my house would be even more covered in dust and she would make herself sneeze all the time.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/SimplyVegan
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vegchicblog
Instagram: http://instagram.com/vegchicblog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 am 
Discovered unobtainium

bergedy wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
torque wrote:

If the tiel will take baths on its own or accept spray bath, that might help. I need to give Tommy (cockatoo - big version of a tiel) a spray bath on a regular basis or my house would be even more covered in dust and she would make herself sneeze all the time.

It helps, but even a small macaw can't generate enough feather crepe to keep up with the output of a small bird with powder based skin. Macaws and conures have oily skin and don't have all that dust. They throw their food around a lot more than cockatiels do though.

Our tiel won't give herself baths very often, but she loves being caught and forcibly given at bath with the kitchen spray. She has to be chased down and grabbed and taken screaming her head off over to the sink, then once she is there, she sits happily on your hand with no coercion and dances around under the water. It is really ridiculous. Yet the minute you say the "b" word, she flies off and plays hard to get. I guess that is part of the fun for her.

Birds are weird.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lavawitch wrote:
Our tiel won't give herself baths very often, but she loves being caught and forcibly given at bath, then once she is there, she sits happily on your hand with no coercion and dances around under the water. .

ours is exactly the same, only substitute shower for kitchen sink. he comes in with me, screams bloody murder, then sits on my hand and dances around. he gets hosed daily, but will very rarely self-bathe...usually when i'm washing dishes and he's on his perch above the sink, he will suddenly "GERONIMO!" and leap into the sink. of course when the sink is clean and i leave a stream of warm water for him to sit under he can't be bothered.

i can only imagine if he didn't get wet.... he's a sneezer as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish wrote:
It described parrots as being like a two year old with a can-opener on his/her face, in that they can figure out a ton of stuff and can be quite destructive and definitely have their own personalities.

Haha! That is a perfect description for a parrot! My boyfriend and I have a 12-year old Senegal parrot named Cleo. We got her almost exactly a year ago from a woman who got her from a rescue and doted on her for several years, but then got tired of her or got too busy or something, and couldn't spend enough time with her. So it wasn't exactly an abusive situation but one of benign neglect. Our little parrot needs A LOT of attention. We try to have her out of her cage as much as possible in the evenings and on weekends.

She's definitely a one-person bird. I am her absolute favorite person, and she's a real sweetheart most of the time with me, cuddly and affectionate. Her and my boyfriend have had their ups and downs. Mostly they get along well enough and he can take her out of the cage and sit with her and she'll be cool. But she can get nippy, especially when it's time to go back in the cage, and she HATES telephones. The only time she has seriously bitten me was when I forgot about the phone thing and walked to close to her while on the phone. Ouch. So I'm pretty much afraid to have anyone else handle her because I'm not sure how she'll be with them. Sometimes it's really difficult for me to even get her back in her cage, she just keeps running up my arm and clings to my clothes and I have to pry her off. We've left her with my parents for a week while on vacation, and they pay lots of attention to her but she has to stay in her cage which I feel bad about.

She doesn't really know words, but does an adorable kissy sound, and a wolf whistle, and a sort of "yoo hoo!" sound, and a whole bunch of other sounds. She learned to imitate the beep our answering machine makes, and when she was with my parents started imitating their phone, to the point that they would think it was actually the phone ringing. She can be very snuggly with me, and puts her head down when she wants to be petted. I can hold her in my hand and put her on her back and pet her belly too. But she also gets mad if she thinks I'm not paying enough attention to her. If I'm on the computer, she'll come and stand on my keyboard or mouse and nip at my hands until I pet her. She also will completely destroy books. I have a shelf where I put some old books for her to chew on, and it keeps her busy for hours. Of course my floor is always full of little paper bits, and sometimes she makes her way to the shelf of books that I DON'T want her to chew on! I haven't been able to get her to put up with any sort of bathing yet, although once in a while she just dunks herself in her water dish.

I really like this thread, because I think a lot of people think being a bird parent is easy, and it is not. The first week we had her I had a few "oh no what have we done?!" moments. It is time-consuming and messy and can be expensive if you need to go to the vet (it is SO important to find an avian vet before you might need one!). But if you're ready and willing to deal with some of the negatives then I think having a bird can be really rewarding. They are very intelligent and can be awesome, fun companions, and I'm really glad I have one.